How to influence Clients?
- Use plain english
- Use the Client’s language (reduces cognitive load for them)
- Respect their communication preferences
- If they prefer formal reports, provide it. If they like informal updates, do that instead
- Schedule meetings at times they like.
- Understand what they value (they may not say this up-front)
- Anticipate what they may need and provide it
- Well dressed and groomed
- Send emails with proper grammar and no typos
- Never criticize, condemn, or complain in front of the Client
- Take setbacks in stride
- Have a positive energy about yourself
- Value Client’s feedback and make a quick change if possible
- There is nothing better than gaining a feedback from the Client and making behavioral or changes to your action. This tells them that we listen.
- Ask if there is one thing you would change, what would that be?
- Lead effective meetings
- Be on time
- Send out a meeting agenda
- Send a follow-up afterwards
- Let the Client be in control
- Provide options and your recommendation. Let the Client make the final decision.
- Do not present options that you are not willing to implement. Say so.
- If there is an option that you would like the Client to pick, mention that up-front and ask for permission.
- Use appropriate language in the Ritz-Carlton side
- Ex: My pleasure instead of No worries
- Send them books and articles that aligns with their interests
- Share a laugh with them. Don’t be too serious.
This entry was posted in Software Projects
. Bookmark the permalink